Are you interested in planting or want some greenery to your home decor? Are you wondering which indoor plants to choose for air purification, to brighten up your home and will be easy to maintain? Well, here are 9 best indoor plants – air purifying and low maintenance plants.
9 Best Indoor Plants For Home
There are numerous indoor plants that you can keep in your home, but there are some specific indoor plants that are easy to grow, low maintenance, and also purify the air.
House plants really brighten up your home, it makes your home environment fresh and beautiful. It is totally important to pick the right kind of indoor plants for your home.
Here are 9 best indoor plants – easy to grow, air purifying, and low maintenance.
1. Jade Plant ( Crassula ovato)
- Jade plants are easy to grow and can be grown both indoors and outdoors.
- They are succulent plants that mean they store water in their leaves.
- However, they need some amount of sunlight so you can keep them in a bright place.
- Jade plant is a perfect indoor plant because they are extremely low maintenance indoor plants.
- They also need less amount of water so make sure you only water them when the top of the soil is dry because they are susceptible to overwatering.
- Jade plants are also considered as money tree and symbolic of prosperity. They are also known as air purifying indoor plants
- The green leaves and pink flowers of the jade plant enhance the beauty of your home.
- They live long and make you feel like it’s a member of your family.
- Pruning is also a part of the care you can do, just cut the extra branches and the old leaves, this will help them to grow healthier.
2. Spider Plant (Chlorophylum comosum)
- The spider plant is the most popular indoor plant, they are easy to grow house plants and if you are new to the plant world I will suggest you should go for a spider plant.
- The spider plant is the best air purifying indoor plants and absorbs all kinds of toxic gasses and also cleans the air.
- Some of the studies have proven that it can improve the air quality of your home.
- Spider plants love the sunlight but not too much, you can keep it in a bright place.
- They can grow in most conditions. Not too hot and not too cold is the most favorable condition for them to grow.
- During summer watering is necessary.
- Just like the name suggests “spider plant” the leaves grow hardy and are like tentacles but they look very beautiful with tiny white or pink flowers.
- Spider plants are low maintenance indoor plants and look beautiful in a hanging basket.
3. Chinese Elm Bonsai (Ulmus parvifolia)
- Chinese Elm is one of the most popular bonsai trees, they are slow-growing house plants in nature.
- Chinese Elm needs a lot of light, during the summer months you can keep them outdoors.
- They are the most beautiful indoor plants, easy to grow, and have a highly predictable growth pattern.
- Water them only when their soil is slightly dried out because they prefer their soil to be a little moist. During the winter months, they required less water.
- Pruning and trimming in ever 3-4 weeks are also a part of the care that you can do, and it is necessary to maintain the shape of your Chinese elm. You can trim the branches and old leaves, it encourages growth.
- It is the best plant that can be grown in the form of an indoor and outdoor plant.
- They can grow up to 60 feet tall and can also be grown in a miniature form.
- It is important to keep it in sunlight but not too much, it can be kept in direct sunlight during the morning and keep it indoor during the day-time.
4. Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata )
- Snake plant commonly referred to as “ Mother in law’s Tongue“, they are the perfect indoor plant for your home.
- They add beauty to your home and as the name suggests “Snake plant” it is a beauty to be handled cautiously and also they are extremely low maintenance indoor plants.
- Snake plants are one of the most popular house plants, they require minimal care and are easy to grow.
- Snake plants are one of the best air purifying indoor plants, it purifies air by absorbing toxins through leaves and also remove toxins like formaldehyde, benzene, and toluene.
- Snake plants make for an ideal indoor plant because it produces oxygen at night whereas some of the indoor plants release carbon dioxide at night.
- Do not overwater them in winters, also remove the dirt from the leaves so that they can breathe easily.
- Keep it in direct sunshine so that it can breathe and shine.
- Use manure for the plant to grow healthier and it will make your home beautiful and green.
5. Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica)
- Rubber plants are one of the most beautiful house plants, they are used for decorative purposes and also used as an indoor plant for a home.
- Thick green oval-shaped leaves and brown stems look beautiful next to a balcony or in a big room, also beautify the surroundings and add a lot of aesthetic value to your home.
- According to a study, rubber plants also are best known for air purifying indoor plants.
- Their leaves are large and thick, can absorb a good amount of toxic air pollutants, and eliminate bad particles and microorganisms.
- Bright and indirect sunlight suit best for its growth, try keeping it next to a window for its best result.
- As its leaves are big and need a little bit of cleaning with water spray within a week or two, it also will help the plant to breathe and help in sustaining for a longer period,
- Pruning is also required as the plant does not grow unidirectional.
- You can also grow pruned stems in other pots and let is multiply separately and are also low maintenance indoor plants.
- Watering needs are different according to seasons.
6. Flamingo Flower (Anthurium)
- Anthurium is the only indoor plant that is required to grow indoors or in cooler areas.
- Anthurium is those house plants that add a dash of color around the house.
- These plants are low maintenance indoor plants because they don’t require direct sunlight, you can keep them next to a window and try not to move it around the house, let it sit in a place which will help them to grow and blossom.
- Watering requires once a week in clod areas and semi-cold to the hot region twice a week should be enough.
- If you are a plant enthusiast and want to pamper it like a baby then you can sprinkle some water on its leaves to keep it clean and avoid leaves from drying.
- Mix half soil and half organic manure, and try to change it once a month.
- Anthurium plant is beautiful and also has air-purifying qualities that make its perfect house plants.
- Anthurium plant pruning tips: Try to trim the plant from the top and trim all the yellowish or dead leaves and for better growth of the plant you can also bury the dead leaves into the soil.
7. Chinese Evergreen Red Lipstick (Aglaonema Red)
- Aglaonema is one of the best in the list of low maintenance indoor plants that can be grown very easily.
- They are also known as the best air purifying indoor plants because of their large green and red colored leaves.
- Aglaonema is one of the very stylish house plants out there with its dark green, red-bordered leaves and thick pink to a brown stem.
- Watering should be done between one to two weeks. Always check the soil before watering the plant.
- Try to clean the leaves as much as you can which helps the plant in breathing all the bad air and releases fresh oxygen.
- Aglaonema is one of the best house plants because of its leaves which enhance the beauty of your home by adding a dash of color to your house.
- Try to use organic manure as much as possible, which will help them to grow.
- Pruning can be done from the branching stems to keep it look clean and not too bushy.
8. Money Plant ( Epipremnum aureum)
- Money plant is the most common house plants, they are climbers in nature.
- According to some people, money plants bring good fortune and prosperity to your home.
- You can keep the plant in your office or at the entrance of your home, it is to believe that a money plant brings richness and good luck to your home.
- You can also gift them to your loving once as a good luck gift.
- The money plant is one of the air purifying indoor plants because it absorbs the toxic gasses and removes airborne pollutants.
- Money plant is also considered as low maintenance indoor plants, it requires little care.
- You can also grow the money plant in the soil as well as in the water while growing it in the water always remember to change the water weekly.
- Avoid direct sunlight it will make the leaves scorched. Instead, go for low light.
- The climbers need some support and it looks beautiful in a hanging basket or front of a wall.
- You can easily cut the stem and plant it anywhere, it can multiply on its own, this makes it one of the best indoor plants for home.
9. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
- The peace lily is one of the best house plants which looks elegant and stylish throughout the year.
- The beauty of peace lily enhances when the flower bloom, it is one of the most used indoor plants for home.
- With beauty, it also has an air-purifying quality as it clears all the toxic pollutants from the air.
- Elongated dark green leaves with white fragrant flowers brighten up your home and make it look elegant and beautiful.
- The key point to remember is that keep the plant in sunlight next to a window or you can also keep it in your balcony.
- Always remember to keep the soil moist, the peace lily is most favorable to the high humid surrounding.
- If you grow it in a warm place try to stray the plant with room temperature water.
- They are very sensitive to chemicals so try to use organic manure in the ratio of half soil and half manure.
- Don’t use heavy fertilizer as they are very delicate.
Read more – 20 Low Light Indoor Plants In India
All the indoor plants mentioned above are best in the category of air purifying indoor plants, they all are easy to grow and are also low maintenance indoor plants. Indoor plants for home need some care and maintenance. House plants enhance your home and make it fresh and breathable. They also can be grown in any conditions and regions.
As the above-mentioned house plants are dedicated and most of them are decorative plants, make sure you don’t overwater them. Pruning, sunlight, watering, and manure/soil management can keep the plant healthy.
I hope you like “9 Best Indoor Plants – Air Purifying And Low Maintenance Plants“.
Do share it and let us know in the comment box which house plants you like the most in your home.
Indoor Plants FAQs
How long do indoor plants live?
Usually, indoor plants can grow up to 2 to 5 years depending on their properties but in the case of Chinese Elm Bonsai, it can live for a very long time.
How often should indoor plants watered?
Indoor plants are very low maintenance and can carry out with water in the soil for up to a week but there are several indoor plants that require water in less than a week, but the ideal time is a week. You can also check the soil whether it is dry or moist and then you can water them accordingly.
Can you cut the brown tips off plants?
Yes, you can cut the brown tips of the plant, in fact, cutting away dead and unwanted branches of plants are called Pruning and it should be carried out once a month or if you see any extra growth, you can cut the dead leaves and unwanted or dead branches.
How do I water indoor plants?
You can water indoor plants by adding water to the soil up to the top and letting it rest for a while so that the water is absorbed till the bottom of the pot then add little bit more water and again let it rest so that the water is evenly absorbed by the soil.